FEMALE IN PROGRESS 5

Ohla!



How have you been?!

Happy Friday!!!

So I decided, in the spirit of #HappyFridays, to put up 2 posts for Female in Progress.

Here goes!

****************************


“Hi” I manage to blurt out.

“Hi yourself” I need your boss’ input on something. He is unavailable but says you’re the best person to speak to so, if you don’t mind, I’ll be in my office.”

Leaving both of us in his wake, he trudges towards the entrance.

“My guy!” says Edun, whistling under his breath.

“He’s your guy and you didn’t even say one word to him, right? Hmm.”

I quickly say bye to Edun and walk back to the office. What could he possibly need me for and this late? I was really looking forward to getting home early so I could catch up on lost sleep before Fran’s event. Maybe I could wriggle my way out of this one. What to cook up now, hmm… I’m so busy in my thoughts I don’t even notice him standing in front of my desk and almost walk straight into him.

“We really have to stop meeting this way. You always seem to have your head in the clouds or wherever it is you lose yourself whenever I’m around you. Any more meetings of such and I’ll be tempted to think it’s my charm having this heady effect on you.” Didi says smiling.

What a bore! He truly thinks I have time for this small talk of his! I’m about snap at him when I notice he looks somewhat exhausted.

Deciding to cut him some slack grudging I wonder out loud in my head, “What could you possibly need my help with?” 

I am determined to not let him get to me this time around.

“Ok, I just need a few files resent to me…’ I zonk out for a minute. 

He does have the cutest of dimples and for a second, I wonder what exactly it is about him that gets my hackles up.

“…so if you could please resend to me, I’d finish up and be out of your hair.”

Yikes! I totally missed out on everything he just said.

“Sorry, could you run that by me again?” I manage to blurt out. If I were any fairer, I’d probably be spotting two dark red spots on my cheeks. I always seem to be shooting myself in the foot around this one- not good at all.

“The brief detailing the Adunni-George Initiative for …”

Cutting in and hurrying round to my desktop, “Right. I have that here.”

Working at resending the files, I look up and he’s just standing there! The nerve of the guy!

“Please do make yourself comfortable on the couch. This won’t take that long to send.”

“No worries. It’s not every day one gets to stare at the face of a cute pixie while getting work done.”

At this point, I’d rather not hear any more of his lines so I just smile weakly and hurriedly send what he requested for as well as other supporting documents, just so he doesn’t call me back to ask for something else.

“Would that be all, sir?”

“Yes, please. Thank you. I’m sorry if I made you miss your ride home. I could drop you.”

“Thanks but no thanks. I have someone coming to pick me. Besides, there’s always the option of a cab.”

“A cab? On a Friday evening? All by yourself? Ha! Somfe would have my head if she knew I left you all by yourself at work… and stranded too. Just give me a few minutes to clear out my desk. You can chat with me while I do so. This way.”

And with that, he heads back up to the comfy office spaces!

Just like that!

Like I’m meant to ask how high he wants me to jump because he’s my Boss’ boss!

I’m beyond enraged now and walking behind him, I’m literally throwing daggers at his back.

Inside his office, I plunk down on the chair and actually take time out to observe my surroundings.

Hmmm. Not bad. Nicely furnished.

The last time I was here, I left in a hurry and didn’t really look round. My eyes fall on his name plate on the desk and cringe.

“Would you like anything?”

“Huh?”

“Anything to nibble on or drink?”

“No, thanks.”

He goes back to clearing out his work space which soon extends to “let me quickly send out this mail” and “my apologies, just this one call.”

As he finally shuts down, I lean back into my chair and really look at him. 

He really is easy on the eyes – not that he will ever hear me say that!

I bet he probably has a ton of girls lined up asking for his hand in a –ship. I giggle at the thought and he looks up.

“Private joke, huh? Care to share?”

“No” Standing up, ”Can we leave now? I really do need to get home. I can find my way if you’re still busy with work.”

I’m done!

Walking round his desk and stopping beside me, “I did promise to drop you off, didn’t ….” He trails off as his phone rings, eyes scrunched down at the screen in concentration.

He turns abruptly and in his bid to juggle, keys, briefcase and the ringing phone, he drops the phone and we both lean down for it. He picks it first but not before I look down and see the caller id show up as Sheila, with the picture of a supermodel lookalike.

Hmmm…nice smile.

I mean, it’s not like I was snooping or anything. He ends the call and shoves the phone in his pocket. We both head out of the building in silence and he walks over to the passenger’s side to hold the door open for me.

Dude be scoring points! Not like I'm keping count though!

Somfe come and carry your brother o!

“Thank you.”

The ride home is quick, no traffic in the direction we’re headed.

“Want some music?” 

“No, thank you.”

“Want to grab something to eat?”

 “No, thank you.”

I go back to chatting Somfe who seems to be reading all my chats but Iscariot that she is, isn’t replying any.

Looking up, “why have we stopped at the mall?” I ask.

Didi simply ignores me, stops the car, walks over to open the door and says, “Step out of the vehicle, Ma’am,” with a dimpled smile.

I come down, staring at him puzzled. He doesn’t offer any explanation and walks ahead of me into the YinYang place. I resign myself to getting home late today and sit down, still trying to reach my ex-friend, Somfe who is yet to reply any of my messages.

I send her one last one.

*I see you reading all my messages! You have a lot of explaining to do!*

He pays for the food and just as I head towards the car park, he tugs at my hand.

“One last errand, please.”

What did I do to deserve this? Ehn?! Today of all days!

Summoning sweetness from the depth of my heart, I smile and say, “Anything for you, Sire.”

The way I feel now? I’ve just about had it! The only thing keeping me from giving this dude a piece of my mind is Somfe. Oh, and my job.

I snatch my hand back and stand back, watching him warily.

“Hmm.”

He walked towards the sit out love-garden place and cleans the slab, carefully placing the food bags down then rolls up his sleeves. “Are you coming?”

My treacherous tummy chose that moment to rumble! Blood of Zechariah! I strut round and sit down like I didn’t hear anything and bring out wipes to clean my hands.

“Dainty-Daisy”

I stare angrily in his direction and start to eat.

Surprisingly, the food tastes really good, or maybe it’s the hunger in me.

“It must be just me you don’t like because Somfe goes on and on about how you’re the bestest being in her life.”

I don’t even look in his direction till I’m done with my pasta and meatballs.

I take a sip of my water and wiping my mouth, I intentionally burp out loud to gross him out. Take that!

And that! I add another supporting burp for extra effect.

He looks startled for a second and then bends over, laughing!

His dimples are all out and try as I may, it’s hard not to smile.

“You do know you’re annoying, right?” I ask. “An annoying, insufferable, dimple-custodian. The only reason I haven’t kicked you in the balls is because I care very much about my friend’s mom and considering she’s the perfect grandmother, I wouldn’t want to cut short your lineage.”

I’m about to continue and notice he’s shaking. Only to look up and he’s laughing with tears streaming down his face. I’m so angry, I dump the food on the slab and lean forward, raining punches on him.

“Enough, I’m sorry!! He yells, holding my arms and pulling me hard against his hard rock bod.

“Ahem, ahem!”

We both look up and see Tweedledee n Tweedledoo.

Oh no! 


***************************



I'm giggling here.

Oh well!

Have a splendid weekend, I intend to!

Loads of hugs!!!


Cee.

Comments

Popular Posts